Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Start

Below is my statement of interest in this course. In my last post, I'll touch on how far I've come from this start point.

This class interests me because it is an opportunity to discover and, more importantly, engage with my family’s Mexican culture. Both my parents were born in a rural town, Tepelmeme Villa de Morelos, in the Mexican state of Oaxaca. Growing up, we did not have the money to afford expensive means of entertainment. An old cassette player was the main source of life in our home. The music of artists mentioned on the course website, e.g. Pedro Infante and Cuco Sanchez, was constantly playing in the background of my childhood. Although folk music is familiar to my ears, its rich history and underpinnings are still foreign; I want to lessen this disconnect.

During difficult times away from home, I find myself seeking solace in old songs, photos, and letters. Attached are two photographs I took that inspire comfort, the first was taken with a digital camera 6 years ago and the second with a disposable camera 4 years ago. These are the only two pieces of artwork I can take credit for at the moment. While my background in art is limited, I accept the challenge to express myself through new mediums.




No comments:

Post a Comment